[oletrucks] Re: AD and TF

Subject: [oletrucks] Re: AD and TF
From: "tcape" <tcape@weblnk.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 13:29:39 -0500
Kirk, don't know if anyone answered your question about AD and TF trucks,
but if they didn't, here goes...........

In mid-year 1947 Chevrolet introduced a completely redesigned truck to take
advantage of the post-WWII generation of truck buyers.  This truck was
primarily a work truck (a heater was an option).  Chevy called this new line
of trucks the "Advance Design Series" (AD) truck.  Since the AD truck was
introduced in mid-year 1947, it is called the "1947 2nd Series".  The 1947
1st
Series was essentially the 1946 truck which continued to be sold well into
1947 (while Chevy was retooling the factories for the new model).  You'll
see people refer to '47-2 or '47-1 to indicate 1st and 2nd series trucks.

The Advance Design trucks were produced until Spring of 1955 when
Chevy introduced the new design they called the "Task Force" (TF) design.
This is the year Chevy also introduced its first V8 engine.  Since the TF
trucks came out well into the 1955 model year, they are called '55 2nd
Series trucks (or '55-2).  And since the last of the AD trucks was produced
well into 1955, they are called 1955 1st Series trucks (or '55-1).  The Task
Force (TF) design lasted through the 1959 model year.

Hope this is helpful....and not too confusing!
Tom Caperton
'47 2nd 3100.....in Whiteville, NC