RE: [oletrucks] Fuel Injected V-6

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Fuel Injected V-6
From: mark@noakes.com
Date: 30 Nov 2001 15:33:40 -0800
I've mentioned before on the list that my 350 TPI V8 Corvette gets 28 mpg at 75
mph on the highway.  It has 2.73 gears behind a 700R4 and so it turns about
1800 rpm at the same 75 mph.  It  weighs about 3600 lbs.  The trucks weigh,
what, maybe 4600 lbs?  A rule of thumb I remember from my econo vehicle
engineering days is that, every thing else being equal, that each additional
300 lbs costs you about 1 mpg.

I also have an 86 1/2 ton Chevy Silverado pickup with a 305, lockup torque
converter automatic, and 2.73 gears.  When it was new and back when the speed
limits were 55 mph, I regularly got 21-22 mpg on the highway when I put the
cruise control on 55 mph.

My guess is that a TF truck with a 350 setup for low end torque (as in the TPI
engines) instead of high rpm hp with the right gearing could get 22-24 mpg at
60 mph (before aerodynamics kicks in).

My initial setup on the Suburban will be a non FI 350 retro'd to look like the
old 283.  With the 3 speed OD, the 3.90 will have a 2.73 final ratio, same as
both my 86 vette and 86 pickup.  If I can ever figure out how to make a TPI
setup look retro, I will probably try that as well.  In non FI mode, I'm hoping
for 18-20 mpg; in TPI mode, I would be expecting a couple of mpg better than
that.

Mark Noakes
58/56 Chevy Suburban
59 GMC Suburban