[oletrucks] GMC 302/GMC-Chevy 292

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] GMC 302/GMC-Chevy 292
From: "Bob KNOTTS" <raknotts@qwest.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 14:18:02 -0700
Even if my 401(K) doesn't go up by this summer, I think I'm going to start
looking for a 51-55 GMC 5 window 3/4 ton pick-up to buy. I'm 64 10/12's, and
have had Grey hair for quite a while. But then, my 4 brother's (54-68) range
from VERY bad receding hairline, to just a memory of what a hairline is. My 31
year old son and I were talking abt life expectancy. He said I probably have
20 years left. I said 10 to 15. And with my trips thru CA., (5-6 a yr.), I
might be gone a lot sooner than that!! I'm trying to keep some of these REALLY
interesting suggestions. But when I get a rig, I'll probably be back asking
questions like everyone else. I like the idea of modern or better electronic
systems and gadgets. One nice thing abt being "more elderly statesmen", vs old
farts, is we get to make up our own rules: (a little) common sense and limited
pocketbooks are our main limits. I hope to end up with complete upholstery (I
have tinitis, and need the quiet), either a 302 (preferably), 292, and a OD
transmission, maybe a 700 R4. Does anyone have the physical dimensions and
weights of the 292 and 302 engines? Is there any difference between the GMC
and Chevy 292? Valve covers, decals, or anything else?And of course duals.And
of course A/C, power brakes, and maybe power steering. I hope to be able to
rebuild the stock front end. Originally I wanted to restore a 1950's GMC
diesel log truck. But they have a VERY loud two cycle engine, and I saw one at
a truck show in Brooks Oregon that the owner had put $40,000 into. Beautiful
truck. But Spendy. Bob K in PHX,AZ