Re: [oletrucks] kick panel repairs

To: Williams Grant Civ 418 FLTS Det 2/EN
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] kick panel repairs
From: Bob Chansler <rchansle@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 12:10:07 -0700
Grant,
It's not really practical to remove that inner cowl (kick) panel. It is
spot welded to the body on all sides. I just replaced the drivers side
inner cowl, outer cowl, and the inner-to-outer cowl sheet metal. You cant
imagine how many places these things are spot welded to. It's not an easy
replacement to do. The patch panels are not very close to the original
shapes. About the best you can do is to spray  through the vents into the
inner area. My 49 'burb has a driver side vent that could allow limited
access to the area. The passenger side has the heater area. BTW, I have
seen a heater block-off plate in the junk yards for blocking off tht 4 inch
square area where the heater goes.

Bob Chansler

                      Williams Grant Civ

                      418 FLTS Det 2/EN            To:
oletrucks@autox.team.net
                      <Grant.Williams@kirtl        cc:

                      and.af.mil>                  Subject:  [oletrucks] kick
panel repairs
                      Sent by:

                      owner-oletrucks@autox

                      .team.net

                      01/16/2003 10:23 AM

                      Please respond to

                      Williams Grant Civ

                      418 FLTS Det 2/EN

All,

My 50's kick panels are factory welded in.  The panels are OK but I need to
get in between the kick panel and outer cab skin to do a good job of
derusting and repair.  Question: is there a preferred process to removing
the kick panels and what is done when replacing them?  Also, I plan to use
Vintage air system so won't really need the vents on either side of the
panels but want to maintain them for esthetics.  Any inputs on this?

Grant
50 GMC 1/2T
45 Burb