RE: [oletrucks] IFS vs. Stock.: Lowering Without IFS

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] IFS vs. Stock.: Lowering Without IFS
From: Devin Ranger <devin_ranger@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 09:14:18 -0800 (PST)
Ernie,

Hello.  Some people feel that it is dangerous because
removing springs significantly alters the spring pack;
this is a part that offers structural support.  There
is less rigidity after leaves have been removed.
Increased flex will fatique the metal at an increased
rate.  I suspect this will cause increased wear in the
spring eyes due to an increase flex, too, but I am not
sure that this is the case.

By this time in the trucks life (assuming 1960 and
older), a lot of the stock spring packs are pretty
warn and could use replacing (at least trucks that I
have seen).  I like the look, and it is affordable
(providing the leaves don't break).  My springs aren't
too bad (with two leaves removed), but I think for
piece of mind I will go with a Mono Leaf setup or a
manufactured (not stretched) "dropped axle" (if they
even exist).

I haven't seen any disasters related to this mod.; I
have only heard some stories.

...or maybe we could just mount 10" wheels that hang
out beyond the side of the truck by one complete tire
width... Weccck!

Take care,

Drew
NorCal