Re: [oletrucks] American Autowire -- Classic Update wiring

To: akburke@cableone.net, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] American Autowire -- Classic Update wiring
From: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 20:30:11 -0600
A:
Last spring I purchased an 18-circuit Painless wiring kit from another list
member for my '56 TF 1/2 ton pickup.  I wanted the 18-circuit in case I
decide to add power windows, locks, A/C and etc later. I had looked-over
just about all the vendors and decided that while the $400+ kits are nice, I
didn't want to spend that much money and I wanted a kit that had the wires
already attached to the fuse block.  Had a friend who has wired several
streetrods help me get started with the cab and dash, then finished the rest
myself.  I worked 3-4 nights a week and took my time making sure I routed
everything correctly and had it done in less than 3 weeks.  I was very
pleased with the painless kit, everything was labeled well and I called
their hotline 2-3 times and was gien good advice each time.  I took my time,
double-checked the painless instructions against my original wiring diagram,
then hooked-up a 4-6 amp 'trickle' battery charger to the battery cables and
checked each of the major circuits with a voltmeter or circuit testing light
(did this to prevent 'frying' any misconnections).  Found only 3 wires to
redo out of all my connections.  Once I was sure everything was O.K.,
started the truck and have been driving ever since.  Not bad for a guy whose
knowledge of electricity involves tying a knot in the wire if you want to
reduce the voltage (just kidding).  Good luck with your project!!

Carl Ham
'56 Chevy TF Stepside
Pontiac, IL