[oletrucks] Still thinking about parts truck...

Subject: [oletrucks] Still thinking about parts truck...
From: "Steve Hanberg" <steve@OldSub.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 21:25:47 -0700
I'm still thinking about the parts truck I looked at yesterday.

I'm wondering about two things.  First, this '48 appears to have a larger fuel
tank than my suburban does, though it appears to be mounted in basically the
same place.

Does anyone know the fuel tank capacity on a 3/4-ton '48 Chevy?  Will that
tank fit under my Suburban?  It looked longer, but I think there is more room
under the sub than the current tank uses, and I'd like more range.

Some time ago Larry Kephart posted an update on his BillyBob pickup web site
describing a floor repair kit that used fiberglass cloth and POR15 instead of
resin.  He said it was a temporary fix he hoped would last until he could do
it right (or something like that).  Then some recent magazine, maybe Rod &
Custom, described using a similar process to repair a badly rusted dashboard
for something or other.

I know fiberglass repair doesn't last because it doesn't stop the rust.  I
know someone with some beautiful cars that have lots of 'glass and which make
me cringe when I see them.  I'm curious, does anyone have any long experience
with the POR15 approach?  Does it really work?  Is it less work than replacing
steel, or simply a different skill set?  It appears easier to do, but somehow
I'm not convinced its a good idea.

It seems to me that if POR15 really stops corrosion this should be workable.
I'm skeptical.  Does anyone have experience with it of a decade or more?

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com
'54 Chevrolet 3100
'55.1 GMC Suburban