Re: [oletrucks] Hello, Lisa

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Hello, Lisa
From: jrdorsey <jrdorsey@strato.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 20:24:30 -0500
Lisa,

There are advantages and disadvantages to each.

1. Subframe. Advantage: Complete suspension in one package, ability to
lower it more than the original frame. Disadvantages: Subframes are
really, really nitpicky about getting tham lined up and placed
correctly. If they are not lined up your truck will drive down the road
crooked. Instead of having a frame made of one long piece of steel, you
now have a frame made of two pieces of steel welded in the middle. Your
welder better REALLY know what he/she is doing. I have seen poorly
welded frames break, heck, I've HAD a poorly welded frame break.

2. Mustang IFS. Advantage: Mostly complete suspension that bolts/welds
onto the exsisting frame. Disadvantage: You are putting parts originally
designed for a 4 cylinder Pinto firebomb under a high-horsepower V8.
This is great for trailer queens and weekend crusiers but I wouldn't do
it for any type of regular driver. Yes, I know many people do, but at
the risk of sounding like your mother "If (insert name) jumped of a
cliff woud you jump off a cliff too?"

3. 70's-80's Chevy pickup IFS. Advantage: Mostly complete suspension
that bolts/welds onto the exsisting frame. Keeps ride height about the
same. Good solidly built parts that have been proven on millions of
trucks. You can get the rear axle from the same donor truck to have a
matching track width. Disadvantage: Needs custom spacers, needs separate
steering gear mount (kit available from a vendor). Track width is wider
(can be hidden with backset wheels).

4. Original axle with disc brakes. Advantages: You already have it. It's
worked for 50 years why change now. Body roll when cornering will scare
the piss out of you and make you drive slower so you live to be my age.
Disadvantages: It's probably really worn out by now and would need a
complete rebuild.

As you can probably tell, I lean toward the Chevy pickup IFS. Wayne just
did one and has his experience here:

http://www.itswhatsnext.com/ifs%20project.htm

My '49 is original with disc brakes, but I am a crotchety old coot (ever
watch "Futurama"? Think of the professor), Besides my father would come
back to haunt me!

Oh, yeah! Option #5. Find an orignal NAPCO 4X4 and I'll install an IFS
for you free just to get the old parts! ;-)

--
John Dorsey
Wauchula FL