Re: [oletrucks] Speedometer dilemma Update

To: "Duff Karen ES-19 103 FW/EM" <Karen.Duff@ctbrad.ang.af.mil>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Speedometer dilemma Update
From: "Steve Hanberg" <steve@OldSub.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 07:18:42 -0700
Water in the transmission is a bad thing.

Does this truck run?  Have you been able to drive it?  I'm wondering how the
water got in there or if its been in there very long.

If the bearings, races, synchros are rusted you will have junk inside the
transmission that could cause it to fail going down the road.  That's an
exciting experience, I once had a transmission fail going down the highway.
Suddenly the rear was sliding all over, and though I didn't hit anything it
was a frightening experience.

I don't know about the splines on the output shaft, but if they are damaged
it could be related to something floating about in the transmission and the
damaged splines could be what destroyed the driven gear.  It could also be
that the remains of the driven gear are float around inside, and even though
they may not be made of steel those pieces could cause trouble.

I think I'd be looking for a new transmission.