Re: [oletrucks] 1955 1st series rear end

To: "William Schickling" <wschick1@twcny.rr.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 1955 1st series rear end
From: "Steve Hanberg" <steve@OldSub.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 21:21:58 -0700
Well I have a '55 1st, and since I've replaced the rear axle I have an idea
how its mounted.

I'm not sure why your ubolts are square.  Mine are rounded and extend over
the axle and down through a plate that is under the springs.  That plate
also mounts the shock.

If I remember right the rubber bumper is on the outside of the frame above
the axle.

Maybe I should note that my knowledge is based on what mine looks like.  It
did not have the original axle when I got it, and I've since replaced the
axle because the one that came with it failed.

That very cool spring perch on your '40 is to allow the axle to move
relative to the springs, since the closed driveshaft won't allow it to move
relative to the driveshaft.  My '54 has a hinge type mount for the same
purpose.