RE: [oletrucks] Old Tire Sizes

To: "Gary Perry" <glperry@fwi.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Old Tire Sizes
From: "Jim Wilkerson" <Jim.Wilkerson@sas.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 14:59:10 -0400
Oops, I mistyped.  That should be P205R80 - 16 - for a sidewall of 6.45 in. and
an overall diameter of 28.91 in.

Thanks Gary!  And Thanks to Bob Chansler also.  According to a tire size
calculator I found the closest to the original 6.50 x 16 is a P215R80 - 16 .

What is the 'rule of thumb' for vehicles with positraction and running
different size wheel/tire combos on the rear?  For example, is it absolutely
necessary that the spare tire is exactly the same diameter as the regular
tires?  The same circumference?  Or is it OK to run a completely different size
- for short distances?  If yes, what is a short distance?

Thanks in advance!

Jim Wilkerson