Re: [oletrucks] Air Conditioning Systems

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Air Conditioning Systems
From: J Forbes <jforb@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 11:07:19 -0700
> Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 16:00:16 -0700
> From: "Palinckx, Greg" <Greg.Palinckx@netapp.com>
> Subject: [oletrucks] Air Conditioning Systems
>
> Hi All -
>
> I have been lurking out here for about 6 months and have learned a lot
> since I purchased my 52' 3100 - Thanks to everyone who takes the time to
> respond!
>
> As we go into summer here in Denver it is pretty clear that I am not
> going to enjoy driving my truck quite as much in the heat and am looking
> at putting in air conditioning.  I am wondering if anyone out here has
> bought a kit, and if so, if they have any recommendations.  ChevyDuty is
> where I have bought most of my parts and I have been very happy with
> them - They do have a system, but it does not including everything (such
> as the engine bracket).  The kit from Brothers claims to have everything
> you need and claims it is easy to install.  I have also seen complete
> kits from VintageAir.
>
> If someone has done this, did they use the underdash plenum style, or
> behind the radio grill - would be nice to keep it hidden behind the
> radio grill, but am not sure if it would be as effective.
>
> Once of the local shops told me it would take a week to install (at
>
>>>$100/hour) - while I am not the sharpest guy in the world, I am fairly
>
> competent, and if it is straight forward, I should be able to handle
> it...
>
> Anyone have any experience in this area?

A week at $100 an hour is a bit out of line...maybe a day or two at
most at $60/hr would be reasonable.

The kits that are designed to bolt in directly usually don't seem to
look as nice to me as the more universal ones that take some cutting.
   But that's just my opinion....

I've been happier with the underdash old-fasioned add on air, it just
seems to work better being right there where you can see it, no monkey
business with the vents being hidden away where they don't blow air on
you very well.

If you can do minor fabricating, and you can follow instructions, you
should be able to install it, although you'll probably need an A/C
shop to make up some hoses, then evacuate and charge the system (and
probably fix a few leaks and other minor problems).   Having some
experience with A/C would help, though!  we can't be there watching
over your shoulder to help, unfortunately.

btw, is your truck completely stock now?  or does it have a later engine?

--
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum!
http://www.selectric.org