[oletrucks] Advice/Input

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net, oletrucks-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Advice/Input
From: "chevl_69@earthlink.net" <chevl_69@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 07:26:20 -0400
If you pick up a used running engine cheap, your reliability will be in
doubt for a long time. The 350 is one of the best engines out there for
quality and reliablility, if they are taken care of properly. Look how many
thousands are still on the road. The problem with a used one is you don't
know it's true history and if it was taken care of right.

A few years ago I sold a guy my 77 pickup I bought used in 87 and had well
over 100,000 miles on it. He's still driving it and it hasn't been rebuilt.
Now that's not to say all of them last that long, as yours is an example.
However, properly built, and well maintained they will give good service
and last a long time. I'll grant you that many 6 cyl will be reliable and
are just as good in quality, however, you have a 3/4 ton truck and those
were made to work.

I have a 58 1 ton and I plan on making a hauler/tow vehicle out of it for
my other classic car, and any to follow. If it didn't have a unique 348 in
it that I think I'll rebuild eventually, I'd go with a 383 stroker for the
torque to help haul/pull up mountains or hills.

I priced rebuilding a 350, and the price comes very close to a brand
spanking new crate engine. You can get 383 strokers new from GM Performance
Parts as well as many other varieties of 350's. You will never have to
worry about finding parts on the road, but you won't have a stock look
under the hood. Since you won't, you could always just carry the theme on
to install the serpentine system which you can also get from GM. Heck, I
know a guy that installed an old Hemi in his Classic Chevy truck, and I
like it as it's different and looks neat.

Just some thoughts.
                                               Steve