Re: [oletrucks] frame cleaning and rust

To: c_tom@bellsouth.net, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] frame cleaning and rust
From: Rick N Wagner <rnwagner@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 08:57:58 -0600
Hey Tom, I thought I would give you my experiences with POR-15. It has
been a couple of years now but I painted my 53GMC Burb frame with the
POR-15 as I cleaned it up. It is all brush painted and it came out really
good for what I was wanting. Very few brush strokes show after it dries.
It is very messy if you get it on you, as it will not come off after it
dries till it wears off. So wear gloves for sure! It covers really well
and seems to last well too so far. My Burb has been stored in foul
weather so not much moisture gets to it anymore. I am pleased with it I
have to say. It is kinda pricey, but has a long shelf life if you do not
open the cans lid! I know this sounds crazy, but you have to leave the
lid on and buy two large sheet metal screws and poke two holes in the
can. One on top of the lid and one on the side of the can very near the
top rim, down about a quarter inch. You have to roll the can to mix it
before each use and remove the screws and pour some out into a small
plastic bowl or cup. Be sure to re install the screws after you pour out
some paint so a minimum of moisture moves into the can. After the screws
are installed you tilt the can to make the POR cover the screw from the
inside and it is sealed tight once again. I have a can hear somewhere, I
will locate it and take a picture if you need. This is how a POR -15
retailer told me to use the stuff and it really works well. There are
other products that are similar, but I have no real experience with them
so far. I have used Zero-Rust paints and really like them. Eastwood sells
a product I have not used but hear it is good too. I hope all this helps
some. If you need more info or explanation, let me know and I will try to
help. Good luck and have fun!!

Rick Wagner-Kansas City,Mo--53 GMC Suburban--52 Chevy Parts Chaser--49
Chevy Project--49 GMC project