Re: [oletrucks] synthetic brake fluid

To: "Tom Cooper" <tntcoop@earthlink.net>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] synthetic brake fluid
From: "Kinderlehrer" <Kinderlehrer@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 10:55:52 -0800
Tom, my understanding is that synthetic is DOT 5. It does not mix with DOT 3
or DOT 4, neiether of which is synthetic. The big advantage in my mind to
DOT 5 is that it will not take the paint off if you have any spills.
Another advantage is that it does not absorb moisture and therefore does not
need to be flushed every few years and replaced. There are other
differences, like in boiling point, air absorption, and resulting pedal
hardness.

One thing to be wary of, DOT 5 does not reaact well wth some types of
rubber, mainly the type that was used when our trucks were new, so if you
have original seals anywhere in your braking system, don't use synthetic.
Anything that was manufactured after like sometime in the 80's should be ok.
If you have all newish seals then, you can switch to DOT 5 by just replacing
the existing fluid - put it in the master cylinder and bleed each wheel
until it changes color.

Another disadavantage, though - it is a bit more expensive.

Bob