RE: [oletrucks] Steering Column for 48 Pickup

To: <truxrme@hotmail.com>, <mserges@psci.net>, oletrucks oletrucks
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Steering Column for 48 Pickup
From: Carl & Becky Ham <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 14:32:21 -0600
Mike:
I agree with Old Chevy Truck that a Chevy Van column is the only way to go if
you're not considering an aftermarket column.  I did the same front suspension
swap a few years ago and wound up cutting my GM column (out of a Pontiac Grand
Prix) several times until I had the length correct.  Everything I've read
since my experience suggests the van column is pretty close to the right
length.  Not only did I spend a lot of time removing, cutting and refitting
the column, tracing all the wiring down for the lights, wiper, cruise and etc.
was a real pain.

The problem I see would be keeping your dash ignition switch.  How do you
disable the column locking mechanism once you've removed the key switch from
the GM column?  Removing the electronics from the column may not be too
difficult, but the steering wheel locking mechanism may pose a problem to
remove.  Also cosmetically you'll need to replace the trim ring/collar
immediately below the steering wheel.  Not sure if anyone offers a part to do
that, unless you're handy and could make one yourself.

If I knew then what I know now, I probably would have 'bitten-the-bullet' and
purchased an aftermarket column.  In your proposed situation, disabling the
locking mechanism (and making sure you've done it right), may be best left to
an expert if you can find one.  Integrity of the steering system is no less
important than having brakes that work in my book.

Just my 2 cents, hope this helps.  Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Carl Ham
'56 Chevy Stepside Pickup
Sparland, IL