Re: Dyno in shop

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dyno in shop
From: dave.williams@chaos.lrk.ar.us (Dave Williams)
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 1996 08:17:00 +0000
-> auto shop.  Turned out this guys dad was Chet Herbert the inventor of
-> the roller camshaft and big name in drag racing history.

 Chet Herbert *is* a big name in drag racing history, but roller cams
were in common use before he was even born.  Bollee, among others, used
them in the previous century.

 Actually, quite a few of the very early internal combustion engines
used roller cams, rockers, and even main and rod bearings.  This was
done for various reasons.  Early plain bearings had trouble holding up
in higher-output engines, and early motor oils were only one step above
what the dinosaurs left.  Ball or rolling element bearings are much more
tolerant of lubrication difficulties than plain bearings.

 Most car builders went from roller cams to flat tappets because it was
cheaper, and advances in lubricants and materials made it possible.
Then they migrated back to rollers for friction reduction.

 FYI, etc.

====dave.williams@chaos.lrk.ar.us========================DoD#978=======
  can you help me...help me get out of this place?...slow sedation...
ain't my style, ain't my pace...giving me a number...NINE, SEVEN, EIGHT
==5.0 RX7 -> Tyrannosaurus RX! == SAE '82 == Denizens of Doom M/C '92==