Machine tools

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Machine tools
From: dixon@cs.ua.edu (Brandon Dixon)
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 10:40:11 -0600 (CST)
There seems to be a lot of accumulated knowlege about
machine tools (lathes, milling machines, etc.) on this list.  I'd
like some advice.

I had wanted a lathe and a mill for a few years, and about 6 months ago
I finally bought a used Jet 13x25 lathe.  I'm very happy with it, and
now I don't see how I lived without it for so long.  I would say that
it gets used about three hours a week on average.

I'm now starting to think that I should just fork out the money and go
ahead and get a mill.  The problem is that what I really want is a decent
Bridgeport.  Now that sucker takes up some serious floor space, and I don't
have an abundance of that right now (maybe someday).  I do all of my work
in a 22x25 garage, and right now there are three formula fords in there as
well.

So my question is: What do people think of the "Import" brand vertical
mill/drill combinations?  There are some that are just a little bit bigger
than a floor standing drill press.  I think that I could fit this in, but
should I just wait until I have the space and buy the real thing?

Brandon Dixon
dixon@cs.ua.edu