Re: Welders

To: GGORMAN@dsava.com, SHOP-TALK@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: Re: Welders
From: NKED65A@prodigy.com ( BOB NOGUEIRA)
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 1996 06:24:15 EST
-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

George;  Our first Christmas my wife bought me a MIG welder that I had
been lusting over for some time. It was a cheap Italian job out of the
Harbour freight catalog. Up till then my local welder and I had become
good friends ( but then why not, I was paying to send his kid to
college). Since then that little welder has saved me more money and
given me more freedom than any major tool I have.
 Most of my welding is on 22 gauge sheet metal.  No lessons, just a
couple of books and I was off and running.
   My biggest surprise came the first time I welded quarter inch plate.
Having learned on 22 g  and gotten pretty good at it,  I was afraid the
little tyke wouldn't do well on the heave stuff. Boy was I shocked!
Not only did it weld it but hey, its a lot easier when you don't have
to worry about burning holds through your work!
   My unit has 4 amp settings and I sometimes wish it was the type with
a variable amp control. I frequently find, esp on the 22g stuff, that
one setting is to low and the next higher is too hot.
   Every time I use that little MIG, or any of the other tools my great
wife as    bought me, I make it a point to go in and kiss her.  ( HMMMM,
maybe that's why she keeps   buying me more and more tools).

Bob Nogueira
                         - REPLY, Original message follows --------