PVC for Compressed Air

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: PVC for Compressed Air
From: "Giles John E Jr" <giles_john_e_jr@smtp2.space.honeywell.com>
Date: 16 Feb 1996 14:59:36 U
Hello All,

one of our bulletin boards:

>Problems of compressed air in PVC pipe have been well known for years.  The
>emergence of this "new problem" may be a sign that the safety profession has
>amnesia - we may be forgetting safety basics, perhaps because of an onslaught
>of new ideas.

>Any recommendations of what can be done to avoid relearning lessons of the
>past?

>Chronology:

>1972- Plastics Pipe Institute recommends against thermoplastic pipe for above
>ground transport of compressed air or gases unless encased in
shatter-resistant >materials.

>1986- ANSI Standard B31.8 "Gas Transmission and Distribution Piping Systems"
>prohibits plastic pipe over 100 psi and in all above ground installations
>unless enclosed in a conduit or casing of sufficient strength.

>1988- OSHA memorandum "Safety Hazard Information Bulletin on The Use of PVC
>Pipe in Above Ground Installations" recommends against the use of PVC pipe for
>compressed air.

>1991- OSHA announces that the use of PVC pipe for above ground transport of
>compressed air or gases (unless pipelines are encased in  shatter resistant
>material) will be a violation of Section 5(a) (1) of the OSH Act.

This data was apparently from David Wallace at the Rocky Mountain Center for
Occupational Safety and Health at the University of Utah.

Based on the above info, it doesn't sound like a good idea to use PVC for
compressed air, although I have seen it in a lot of places.

John Giles