RE: Grinder

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Grinder
From: walter@roadster.sps.mot.com (thomas walter x5955)
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 96 08:59:12 CST
> Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 00:14:14 -0600
> From: Matt Wehland <mwehland@webtripper.com>
> Subject: Electric grinder
>
> I am looking for opinions on an [hand held] electric grinder.

AIR, AIR, AIR.... ;-) Oh, SOLID CARBIDE cutters, too.

I would look around for FOREDOM (spelling) grinder. Bench mounted
motor, with a 3' flexable shaft. While not as powerful as a good
air powered grinder, it should be fine for porting aluminum manifolds
and heads. Also for buffing out those spoked mags.

A friend had a simple & cheap one: surplus 1/3 hp 110v motor mounted
on a board with casters. 4' shaft, with the commercial tool end. Cost him
about $40 (comapared $200 for the commerical unit).

MANIFOLD to HEAD porting: neat trick for us SU fitted people - before
shipping the head off to be rebuilt - stuff some rags into the
intake port holes. Bolt the manifold in place... without a gasket.
Use SPRAY paint down the SU Holes to show the match of the manifold
to the head. ;-)

Notes on above: ideal the intake manifold should be a LITTLE smaller
than the intake port (anti-reversion step - but I am not the person
to ask about this!).  Gasket should be trimmed to match. Manifold
should fit "tight" without any slop... little locating dowel peg
would be idea, but that is overkill for me.

Cheers,

Tom Walter
Austin, TX.