Compression test, hot or cold?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Compression test, hot or cold?
From: ADU3B@aol.com
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 19:06:08 -0500
Here I go disturbing the peace again ;~)

I thought I would ask this group because my question is not
even LBC specific;

Should a compression test be performed with the engine
hot or cold?  Does it make a difference?  I looked in all
my manuals and they don't say anything about warming
up the motor prior to testing.  I realize that if there is a
serious problem, (blown head gasket, broken rings etc.)
the test will indicate it regardless of temperature.  I'm
more interested in determining engine wear by comparison
between cylinders & cars.

I suspect that this may a ''controversial" issue so if you
would like to reply privately to me, I will summarize the
I would be interested in the 'why' of your answer.

Thanks in advance,

Bob Sykes   -  - -     __,@_\____
'78 Spitfires -  --    }-0-----0->