Re: Compressors

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Compressors
From: GGORMAN@dsava.com (Gorman, George)
Date: Tue, 07 May 1996 13:32 EST
Nick:

If you're primarily going to use your compressor for paint and occaisionally
for other things then any one of the 5HP, 60gal class compressors would be
ideal.  You might want to check out one of the oilless compressors (Sears,
Price Club, Lowes, etc.).  Neat thing about these is that with no oil in the
system, there is zero chance to get oil in your paint and you don't need oil
filters in your lines.  I have a Sears 6HP 60gal single stage unit that I've
had for over a year now that works great for paint, bead blasting, most air
tools and the majority of home mechanic type activities. Cost about $450.
Works off standard single-phase 240v (like a clothes dryer circuit).

I guess if I had it to do over again, I might be tempted to step up to a
two-stage unit, but they cost almost double the cost of the single-stage types.
 Neat thing about the two-stage types (besides 150 psi vs 125 psi and higher
volume) is that once the system pressurizes up you only have to put up with the
noise from the secondary pump which is a LOT quieter than any 5-6 hp
single-stage pump.  But, then again I haven't seen any oilless two-stagers for
sale yet, and I really like the lack of oil for painting.

We had a whole slew of letters about plumbing air lines, etc. about a month ago
here in shop talk.  They might be archived somewhere on the net.  Anyway good
hunting and sorry to hear about your truck..

George Gorman
'61 TBird (in boxes)
Hi Guys-
I know that there has been a semi-on-going thread about which compressors to
buy and which are not worth it. I admit I've been a bad boy, and not paid to
much attention. Now my truck is about to drive that "last mile" and I find I
need to buy a compressor. No, not to fix the truck, but to get a compreesor
home before the thing dies as I am not going to buy another truck and I live
in what is usually termed "the boonies".
So, can anyone give me a recap on what to look for etc etc. I intend to use
the compressor to paint more than anything else. What I "think" I need is
something around 5hp and 60 gal. I have 220 avail, don't know what phase I
have, whatever would run a household dryer ? My electrical knowlege ends when
I throw the switch.

                                                      Airless and almost
Truckless
                                                                 Nick