Re: Re: measuring cyl. taper

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Re: measuring cyl. taper
From: JackiHarry@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 10:31:25 -0400
>I want to correct a slip of the tongue, er, finger.  The taper, if by
>taper you mean the change of cylinder diameter, should be the number of
>thousandths by which the ring gap changes *divided by* pi.

oops, yes it is divided by pi.  That is why I should not reply to things when
almost brain-dead.  Thanks for the correction.

And true, it will not get you the greatest wear, but it is at least a
ballpark figure (I also think the ring will not perfectly follow the contours
of the cyl, since when it is causing the wear (on the power downstroke), it
is being pushed outwards by the pressure of the gases on the inner surface of
the ring (at least on most ring designs w/ bevels on the upper inner surface)
and therefore being deformed to match the slightl out-of-round condition on
engines w/ cyl wear)

Take care, all!

Scott M Ryan