oil-less compressors

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: oil-less compressors
From: jblair@exis.net (John T. Blair)
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 20:32:19 -0400
Hey gang,

   I noticed that there is a "new" type of air compressor on the market
lately.  They are called "oil less".  Last time I was a
Sears, they had a 60 gal 5hp oil-less compressor for under $400.
They also had the same compressor I purchased a "oil"? compressor
30 gal 5hp for just under $500.

  I asked the sales man about the differences between the 2
compressors besides the obvious - the oil-less one has a larger tank
and cost about $100 less than the older type.  The only thing the
could tell me was they were direct drive?

Anyway, does anyone know anything about these oil-less compressors?
What's the story?  How come you appear to get more for less?  Which
is better?  If you were going to purchase a new compressor which would
you get, the older type or the newer oil-less?

Thanks in advance

John

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ          email:  jblair@nhr.com

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire