Paint

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Paint
From: Elan26@aol.com
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 00:43:30 -0400
Shop Talkers:

Last year I moved from So. California to the really, really rainy Pacific
N.W.  During the winter, in some sort of fit of tidiness, I covered my tow
vehicle with a nice blue tarp to protect it from the rain.  By the end of the
winter my clever idea had managed to bake a bunch of paint off the top of my
truck.  Duh!
So now, I have a rustier truck with large patches of bare metal some of which
is rusty, some of which is just bare. The local paint shop estimates the job
at over $3,000.  I'm searching for other solutions.

The following have been suggested so far:
After sanding all rust areas with a wire wheel I should:

1.  Spray Extend or Rustmort on the still-rusty areas to neutralize the
oxydation
then
2.  Paint bare/rusted places with Rust-oleum metal primer.
or
3.  Don't paint with Rust-Oleum metal primer because it has a fish-oil base
incompatible with auto paint (in case I have a 'real' paint job done later)
and besides won't protect against moisture.
instead
4.  Paint with a heavy duty product called Zero-Rust which both stops
oxydation and provides a primer base. (and costs a bunch).

Does anyone know anything about these products or know what the best way is
to protect my truck. I'd be very grateful for any and all suggestions.

ginger