Fiberglass Paint Removal

To: "'VetteNet'" <VETTES@ASUVM.INRE.ASU.EDU>,
Subject: Fiberglass Paint Removal
From: Bill Lattimer <m22@skypoint.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 19:49:12 -0500
I've been working with a friend of mine to strip, prep and paint his =
fiberglass Lotus as practice for doing my 'vette.  I'm not new to =
painting, but I *am* new to prepping/painting fiberglass.

Anyway, we started doing some experimentation with paint stripping, =
using a bodged (British Car-speke for a hack) hood scoop and my Eastwood =
blasting cabinet.

This car has like 4 layers of paint on it, and when we started stripping =
this we could NOT get any type of decent paint removal, even with an =
aggressive abrasives like aluminium oxide.

So: what am I doing wrong?  Is the cabinet just not the same as using a =
pressure blaster?  BTW, the answer can't be "take it and get it =
stripped" because we do want to do this ourselves.

Thanks!

"Racing?  Racing is life.  Everything else, well, that's just waiting."

                            http://www.skypoint.com/~m22