Tool Boxes, tools rattling

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Tool Boxes, tools rattling
From: Matt Wehland <mwehland@grayfox.svs.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 1996 10:43:04 -0500
I have a nice little Craftsman socket set, the one in the gray carry around
cases.  This case stores the 1/4" & 3/8" ratchet on the top side under s
removable panel and everything else in the bottom.  Well I have socket
related tools that I like to carry around in this box like extensions,
adapters, u-joints and such.  The problem is that this box lives behind my
drivers seat (the other tool box is behind the passenger seat, the Big A**
Jumper cables in with the spare, tire pump, gojo hand cleaner, rags.  For
some reason people laugh at me when they see all this come out of a 95
Mustang.  Seems normal to me).  Anyway the stuff on the top of the toolbox
rattles and will drive you nuts (if possible).  I am looking for a way to
secure tools in the top, without them rattling.  So far what I need to
secure are three 1/2" extensions (3" 6" 9")
3 universal joints (1/4", 3/8", 1/2") and 2 adapters (1/2" to 3/8" and 3/8"
to 1/4") and I will probably add more.  What I might try is carving out some
tough foam and fitting it to the case and the tools.
Any suggestions on where to get some good foam.
Any other suggestions?
Also what else do people carry for roadside emergencies, besides flares,
fire bottle, and electrical tape?

Later

               Matt Wehland, Networking & WEB Consultant
                Naperville, IL  Chicago Suburb
  95 Mustang GT Crystal White 5spd       mwehland@webtripper.com.com
  Best 14.91, third time @ track         http://www.webtripper.com