Re[2]: Metal Lathes

To: cak@dimebank.com (Chris Kantarjiev), JRoss123@aol.com,
Subject: Re[2]: Metal Lathes
From: "Dunst, Mordecai" <mdunst@smtplink.coh.org>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 96 15:42:02 pst
Buying anything is easy if you have green backs to spare.  If you don't wish
to part with a lot of these-- shopping, time and serendipity are often
important.
For instance I just bought a Bridgeport Milling machine for $400.00.
Regarding a Small "garage type" lathe.  Look for a 4" Southbend.  I say this
because lots of schools have used these and are now stuck with less money to
run their machine shop classes -in Los Angeles there is a place that is
selling  these.  These units and some smaller units(3") are
available.  Often, the transportation is more costly than the unit.  Look
to spend about $1,000.00.   Contact machinery surplus vendors.  They usually
go to auctions and pay a penny a pound for the stuff and turn around and
try to sell it at an enormous markup.  Offer them much less.

good luck