Re: If AMPS-R-AMPS, then What The ???

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net, Nickbk@aol.com
Subject: Re: If AMPS-R-AMPS, then What The ???
From: BBRANDT@TCMAIL.FRCO.COM
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 10:41:54 -0500
>switches has a rating printed on it of..."35A at 6v or 20a at 12v". I check
<another..."20a at 6v or 10a at 12v". Dazed and confused I check a
>third..."35a at 6v or 12v".

     Nick,

     I suspect that this has something to do the the power handling
     capability of the switch. Back in the days that I did substation work
     I learned that the volt-amps remained basically constant across a
     transformer so as you reduced the voltage the amperage went up (I know
     that we are talking DC here not AC). We rated transformers in va -
     volt-amps. This would explain the switches that have 2 different
     ratings, particularly the second one as the volt-amps are constant at
     1200va.

     The switch that has a single rating I can't explain. One possibility
     is that the higher the voltage the better able a spark was to jump the
     gap when opening or closing a switch. This arcing is distructive to
     switches as, like with points in a distributor, it tends to weld the
     contacts together. We had special devices mounted on the switches to
     minimize the damage from arcing by breaking the contact very quickly
     and not giving the arc time to form, Maybe this switch has something
     similar.

     Regards,
     Bruce Brandt
     bbrandt@tcmail.frco.com