Re: Where to start with a seized engine

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Where to start with a seized engine
From: Michael Challis <mchallis@sprynet.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 1996 09:02:44 -0500
At 10:32 AM 10/7/96 -0700, you wrote:
>>A friend of mine was just given a 1986 Alpha Romeo with
>>a seized engine.  He knows nothing at all about the
>>condition of the engine.  My first reaction was to
>>suggest that he pull the spark plugs and shoot some oil
>>into the cylinders to see if he could make the engine turn over.
>>If that is a good idea, what kind of oil should he use and how
>>much?

I suggest you get on the Alfa list and ask the experts.
alfa-digest-request@mailgate.wizvax.net
The Alfa Engine is extremely robust. It is an aluminum block and head, dual
overhead cam design. The crank is nitrided. The cylinder liners are wet and
replaceable. the cams are driven by chains. Seldom can you really destroy
one. The parts are inexpensive (relatively). See if you can get a copy of
Pat Braden's Alfa Bible and talk to the alfa list. If the car is at all nice
(no rust), you should probably pull the head and pan and see what is wrong
rather than really screw it up.
MC OKC OK USA