Re: Compressor types.

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Compressor types.
From: JackiHarry@aol.com
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 10:00:52 -0500
>The oilless types I have seen have use a piston
>fitted to a diaphram.  The diaphram is trapped
>between the head and the cylinder and held to
>the top of the piston via a plate.

>The piston is supported by the diaphram and does
>not touch the cylinder wall, this is why it does
>not need lubrication.  The rod is connected to
>the crankshaft via a roller or ball bearing.

I have seen another type of oilless compressor, that uses teflon rings in
place of steel rings, and I believe also uses a roller bearing for the
crankshaft.  This type tends to wear out the cylinder badly if it gets full
of dust. (this is also somewhat true of the oil type), I think the diaphram
type is quite tolerant of dust (except for the valves-but that is not usually
what fails)

Scott M Ryan