Re: Flanger thread/13

To: Jarl/Carol <deboer@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Flanger thread/13
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 13:01:58 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 13 Dec 1996, Jarl/Carol wrote:

> Mark R. Anderton wrote:
>
> > I assume you are the same Jarl de Boer whose cars I have seen in
> > Automobile Quarterly.  I'm honored to be here with you.  Some restorers

> You're too kind. Don't believe everything you see in Quarterly, the
> camera DOES lie! I prefer to fully weld. Filler (like primer) is porous
> and water goes right through it. So, like discussed in the thread on
> shop floors and walls, you start having the top coat release after a
> while. Yuk, another come-back! There's a heat resistant putty, I presume
> asbestos based, that you soak with water and stick to the metal near the

For a long time, I have wanted to ask a well-known professional restorer
something, and this is my chance.  I have read about cars that needed
major surgery being restored "without the use of lead or filler."

I'm just an amateur, but I cannot imagine the skill level needed to get
panels completely flat by working the metal.  And I can't imagine many
customers with the money to pay for it.

My question:  when I see these perfect 100 point cars with mirror surfaced
body panels done by professional restorers, how is that achieved? Is the
metal worked until it is that flat?  Is filler used?  Or do they avoid
filler by spraying on 1/8 inch of high build primer, and flat that?

WRG

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910