Re: Grinders vs Buffers

To: TR4guyinVA@aol.com
Subject: Re: Grinders vs Buffers
From: "Richard George x 7247 (sun)" <rkg@etec.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 1997 08:27:19 -0800
TR4guyinVA@aol.com wrote:

> I've used both those big buffers and the big bench grinders. . . .
>
> my question is . . why can't I put a buffing wheel on a bench grinder?
>   (maybe I can . . but I've never seen anyone else do it)

Scott,

This is actually a bit more complex than it sounds - The basic
difference is that you tend to want to spin buffers slower (which is
actually kind of dependent on the diameter of the wheel you are using,
but...) and its also a good idea to have them spin away from you rather
than at you (that way when the item being buffed slips, you don't
have it coming at you - a helpful hint from someone who's family has
been grinding knives for >100 years...) - I'd also recommend a grinder
that spins away from you for sharpening knives and other implements,
but that's another story...

The "standard" setup is to spin buffers at 1800 RPM or so - you can
get one of the spindles with the pulley attachment to the motor so you
can futz with the speed without having to have the motor rewound...
(again, a SFPM issue at the wheel diameter issue...).

Unfortunately, spinning wheels away from you makes certain kinds of
grinding difficult, so you usually end up with a small grinder that
spins at you (for lathe bits and other "traditional" grinding), and
the buffer that spins away from you...

Also, mixing wheels can be nasty if you don't keep stuff clean -
abrasives worn off of a grinding wheel can ruin a buffing job real
quick =8-O

Good Luck,

rkg

(Richard George)