Re: welding and grinding sheetmetal

To: "David F. Darby" <dfdarby@JUNO.COM>
Subject: Re: welding and grinding sheetmetal
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 1997 13:01:06 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 25 Jan 1997, David F. Darby wrote:

> Hello Mike:
>
> After fussing around with wire brushes mounted on drill motors, last week
> I picked up the DeWalt 4.5" HD angle grinder and a knotted wire cup
> brush. I have seen the light! It fairly evaporates old paint,
> undercoating, rust, and just about anything else that gets in the way.
> The DeWalt uses the SAE 5/8 - 11 spindle.

> I'm a bit of a safety nut, and I would recommend donning goggles,
> half-mask air-purifying respirator, and hearing protectors when
> operating the thing. At the very least, one should use safety glasses
> and an approved toxic-particle mask. You will be kicking up a lot of
> fine material that might not be so fine for the lungs.
>
> David F. Darby
> Brushing up on my bodywork in the lovely White River Valley of Southern
> Missouri.

David and others,

It's also a good idea to wear an apron.  When one of the wires breaks at
12K rpm, it is like shooting a needle at you.  I wear a full face
protector, not just safety glasses.  After the brush has a few million
rpm on it, it will shed pretty regularly.

Ray (native of Ironton, Mo)

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910