Re: Amputation Saw

To: "Charles B. Andes" <cbandes@worldnet.att.net>, shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Amputation Saw
From: "Keith Conover, M.D." <kconover@pitt.edu>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 14:53:57 +0000
On  4 Feb 97 at 20:49, Charles B. Andes wrote:

> Keith: Try Harbor Freight Tools (800)423-2567 for all types of hand
> saws and power saws. They should have something to meet the need.

You and another list member suggested them, and I called and lo and
behold, they still had the WoodZig in stock!  I ordered two of them.

> Have you thought about moving the rock? They also have lots of pry
> bar tools. Good luck. Dont get your leg caught somewhere.

We think _a_lot_ about moving the rock.  And if the patient is close
to the entrance, air bags and compressed gas are appropriate.  And
cave and mountain rescuers are exceptionally adept at rigging
mechanical advantage hauling systems from minimal lightweight gear.
And we sometimes use explosives, but mostly just to enlarge passages
for a litter.  But sometimes, you just can't move the rock without
equipment that simply can't be brought to the patient.

--Keith Conover, M.D., FACEP
  http://www.pitt.edu/~kconover