Re: Sun Equipment

To: LSAPEX@aol.com, shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Sun Equipment
From: Malaboge@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 21:30:11 -0500 (EST)

<<
 I just purchased an older Sun Inspector model (Sun 1040), 4 gas.
 I hope you can find an independent source for service. I went through Sun
 (1-800-CALL-SUN), they like to keep tabs on their equipment (keep the
 service).
 I'm not sure about your "Tamper" screen.
 I can run mine on Tune-Up mode with no problem.
 To get into the calibration screen it's  "* Menu" (star, menu).
 Mine was a MA. inspection machine, YMMV.

Les-

No prob dealing with SUN. I have their blessing, but to get the code I need
to get past the "Tamper" screen, they want to sell me the repair manual. I
have no problem with spendin a FEW bucks on the book, but it is not
available. HUH? you ask ! Yeah that's right, its not available but they will
sell me a zerox copy of it at the good guy, giveaway price of $2.50 per page
American Money. When I asked just how many pages this might be, I was told,
"Its probably more than a hundred and fewer than two hundred". Somehow the
thought of $500.00, just to get a 4 or 5 digit code is, shall we say, A BIT
EXCESSIVE!
Unfortunately, this machine sat around for some time and the battery powering
the ROM went down. Since the machine has a "failsafe" mode which it drops
into when no longer powered, it is this code I need to get back to the usable
screens. When I power it up, it flashes a warning about being "tampered" with
and to enter your State of Calif Tamper code, or some such nonesense, to
continue. Worst part of the deal is that the guys I got it from have the code
"somewhere", but don't know where. Rats !

Still not sniffin any tail pipes...
       Nick in Nor Cal