Re: Air Compressor

To: DANMAS@aol.com, jimparent@compuserve.com
Subject: Re: Air Compressor
From: jblair@exis.net (John T. Blair)
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 1997 08:45:27 -0500
At 11:10 PM 3/1/97 -0500, DANMAS@aol.com wrote:

> What is your recommendation for a good home built air dryer/cooler
> combo?

Dan,

If you dryer is right off the output of the compressor, it won't
dry to well.  What I did was got some copper tubing and bent it
into a spring with a diameter that a 2L Coke bottle would fit in.
Cut a couple of feet of air line hose and hooked it to the compressor and
one side of the coil.  The other side of the coil
has another couple of feet of air line comming from it to the
dryer.  My coil sits is a bucket next to the compressor.  I can
fill the bucket with water.  Now the air has a much longer distance
to travel before it gets to the dryer and the copper coil can
extract some of the heat from the air and condence out the water.

This work pretty well.  However, on a very humid day, the cold air
comming out of the nozzel of a spray gun can still condence water
out of the air.  What I need to do is make another coil of copper
tubing, connecting it to the output of the dryer.  Then wrapp it
around the compressor jugs to reheat the air.  Just haven't gotten
around to doing that yet.

John

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire

The one with the most toys, wins!