Re: Shop Vac choices

To: TR4guyinVA@aol.com
Subject: Re: Shop Vac choices
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 23:56:06 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 4 Mar 1997 TR4guyinVA@aol.com wrote:

> Hiya. . .
>
> I need a shop vac.
>
> Any suggestions?

> Stability, ergonomics and gadgets seem like the important things.

> I've seen big ass ones with variable speed and even retractable cords?
>
> How about noise?

I am on my third as an individual, and used two others at work.  At work
we have an expensive Makita, I believe it is, which is an average
performer.  It annoys me by using a non-standard hose and wand size so
you have to buy their own expensive accessories.  Another one at work is
a Sears a few years old.  It works well, but is so powerful that it can
rather violently collapse its accordian pleated hose.  It also sounds
like a 747 in mid takeoff.

I started with a cheap Sears that worked well, but had a small base so it
toppled over when you tried to drag it along.  It had only the small hose,
and clogged frequently in the wood shop.  I then bought a Shop Vac, which
had the removable blower thing on top.  It used a bag type filter that was
very cheap, but clogged almost immediately.  Then the lock assembly that
held the blower to the base broke.  I pried off the blower, took the rest
to the dump.  Then the blower bearings packed up. By then, I considered
Shop Vac to be junk, but I liked the blower idea.  I bought a separate
leaf blower which is the greatest thing since sliced bread for "sweeping"
the garage.

I am now on another Sears mid level wet/dry about 3 yr old.  It has feet
wide enough apart that it is stable.  The filter is pleated paper and very
expensive, but lasts quite a while.  I have both small and large hoses and
accessories.  This is the best of the lot, but it is very noisy.  If I am
using it any length of time, I use hearing protectors.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910