Re: metal brake line replacement & tools

To: "Thomas Wannenburg" <twannen@bgsm.edu>
Subject: Re: metal brake line replacement & tools
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 08:25:16 -0500
I often make up new hard lines for my cars, and use a British made tool
(MOPROD), I think.  Trick is to carefully prepare the tube end by radiusing
the inner and outer edge before starting to do the flaring.  I have about
95% success after doing one end to remember how to do it, and 100% success
once their on the car.   I use coated bundy line from the auto parts store,
and wouldn't use stainless tubing unless it was specifically made for
brakelines.  I have one car that has the plated copper lines from England,
and it seems fine, too.

t 02:27 PM 3/14/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I have not done this, but the tools can be found from the Eastwood company and
>are not very expensive.  There was a good article on forming brake lines in a
>recent edition of "Classic Auto Restorer" magazine.  This, incidently is a
>rather nice little mag.  Other than a satisfied subscriber I have no financial
>interest in it.  If you are interested, I can get you their address, and
perhaps
>you could order the relevant issue.
>
>I suspect that at some point a lot of us with old cars will need to be able to
>do this.
>
>Tom Wannenburg
>74 MG Midget
>
>Thomas Wannenburg MD.
>Cardiology, Bowman Gray School of Medicine
>Wake Forest Univ
>Medical Center Blvd
>Winston - Salem, NC 27157
>Tel (910) 716 9664