Re: Broken Stud...

To: ericm@lne.com
Subject: Re: Broken Stud...
From: BMcgu22954@aol.com
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 22:19:12 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-03-20 22:58:54 EST, ericm@lne.com (Eric Murray) writes:

> BMcgu22954@aol.com writes:
>  >
>  > In a message dated 97-03-20 20:22:52 EST, mdunst@smtplink.coh.org
(Dunst,
>  > Mordecai) writes:
>  >
>  > >
>  > >       1/2" (long) stud broken in block--3/8" proud of the deck.   Any
>  > >       suggestions.
>  > >
>  > If you have to drill it out, try renting a magnetic drill press (mag
drill)

>  What's a magnetic drill press?  Why would it be useful here?
>  Thanks.

What a mag drill gives you over a hand drill is :
The ability to drill a hole 90 deg to the surface from which you are
drilling.
More tool pressure than you can generate by hand.
The ability to lock it in one spot and start with a center drill, then use a
larger drill to sneak up on the target size.
You probably want to rent one because we paid about $1300.00 for the
Milwaulkee we have in our shop.
They also stick quite hard on thick ferrous metal.
For an aluminum block you could make a plate about 1 " thick that bolted to
the surface that needed to be drilled.

Bruce McGuire