Re: How to convince my wife I need another car?

To: Berry Kercheval <kerch@parc.xerox.com>, dmeadow@JUNO.COM
Subject: Re: How to convince my wife I need another car?
From: Michael Sloane <msloane@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 05 May 1997 10:11:03 -0400
I will have to agree that trying to hide something like a car would involve
more effort than the pleasure derived from the activity. Here is my method:
I start talking about a much more expensive vehicle, extolling its virtues
and necessity of ownership. After putting her foot down and making me feel
very disappointed, she is likely to be willing to discuss a much more
moderate purchase/project. This, by the way is a two-way street, and I
often find myself going on vacations that I would never have agreed to if
the alternatives weren't much more lavish and expensive. I suspect neither
of us are fooled, but we feel better for the effort.

The machines I usually involve myself are bigger (and sometimes) uglier -
antique road machinery. So the challanges are greater: you haven't lived
until you try to park a 1942 Cat road grader in the front yard. And you
thought an old Spridget in the garage was an eyesore?

Mike (Working on an ancient Athey maintainer while I don't have the Cat
running yet. forget about the Insley 25-ton crane...)

At 03:57 PM 5/2/97 +0000, Berry Kercheval wrote:
> > Deceit and manipulation are not the foundation of a marriage, but are an
> > unavoidable ingredient.
>
>This is getting far from shop-talk's charter, but I'm afraid I have to
>strenuously disagree.
>
>Frankly, my wife is much, much more important to me than my cars.  I can
>always buy another car; I can't replace my wife.
>
>Before doing something sneaky like dmeadow recommeds, think what would
happen
>if she finds out -- and she will, eventually.  Will she still trust you?
Will