Re: Whitworth wrenches wanted -Reply

To: Berry Kercheval <kerch@parc.xerox.com>,
Subject: Re: Whitworth wrenches wanted -Reply
From: Michael Sloane <msloane@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 12:33:07 -0400
To add to the two excellent references at the bottom of the page, I would
contribute the following from <http://www.biography.com>:
--------
Whitworth, Sir Joseph

          male

          (1803--87)

          Engineer and machine-tool manufacturer, born in Stockport, Greater
          Manchester. After working as a mechanic for some years, he began
to make
          his own machine tools, exhibited them at the Great Exhibition of
1851, and
          quickly gained a reputation for their quality and accuracy. He
established
          standard screw threads and the equipment for forming and gauging
them, and
          developed a method of casting ductile steel. He founded Whitworth
          scholarships for encouraging engineering science.

Mike