Re: FW: Extracting Seals From Master Brake Cylinder

To: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>
Subject: Re: FW: Extracting Seals From Master Brake Cylinder
From: Heather & Joe Way <sierrasa@psln.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 18:36:01 -0700
Chris Kantarjiev wrote:

> I'm a Triumph guy, not an MG guy, but I suspect that your '69 has a
> tandem master cylinder of some sort. Doesn't really matter .. I would
> get a source of compressed air and apply it to the outlet (block
> off the other one if there are two). Something like a bicycle
> pump - you don't want a lot of pressure. Arrange that the hole where
> parts will come spitting out is pointed at something safe, like a 2x4.

Yes, the '69 will have a dual circuit master. Chris' advice is
good--could use a little amplification.

For safety, wrap the open end in a heavy rag to capture parts and fluid.
You may need more air than you can get from a bike pump--I've had to use
a hydraulic pump at hundreds of psi on some cylinders. You may need to
plug both outlets and apply the air to the inlet, under the reservoir.

The hot water can't hurt and is worth a try. Does the rebuild kit have a
new seal? If it does you can destroy the old one if necessary. *Don't*
damage the pistons, though--you'll need those. Avoid torch-type heat if
you can. A little cooking works wonders on aluminum wheel cylinders, but
will take the temper out of springs you'll have to reuse in the master.

If none of this helps, call me at 800-427-2771. We'll talk it out.

Joe
--
==brake cylinders sleeved with brass==        I spilled spot remover
==One-Wire conversions and rebuild                on my dog. Now