Re: Automotive cooling

To: james.a.babcock@adn.alcatel.com, shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Automotive cooling
From: Malaboge@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 12:33:53 -0400 (EDT)

>I can visualize how to construct the T-fittings in the radiator hoses,
>but I can't see how to do the housing for the thermostat in the
>cold-side radiator hose.  Can someone explain how to construct
>this item out of common plumbing parts?
>
>Jim Babcock

Jim - and all you other "hot" rods...

Dare I say it...BMW... has used a similar self contained tstat on their 2002
and 320 models. The three ends all have sorta "normal" hose sized ends, so
you could make up a rig fairly easy. As I recall, they came in 2 temps, 82C
and 92C. Should be a simple afternoons job to rig one of these up to test on
your particular car.
Unfortunately, both of those cars were known to run quite hot given a little
"spirited" driving, and the local fix was to install a ...wait for
it...LARGER radiator ! (My recollection was that a Pinto rad was a bolt in
swap and cured most problems). Now I'm not saying that they ran hot because
of the tstat design at all, just that for whatever reason, (design, etc),
that they did.
It may, or may not, have any bearing on the fact that BMW stopped using that
design with the end of the 320 line.

Now if I could just cool myself down...been over the "ton" all week...
                     Nick in Nor Cal