FW: axle flange removal -Reply

To: mjb@Autox.Team.Net, shop-talk@triumph.cs.utah.EDU
Subject: FW: axle flange removal -Reply
From: Raymond Jang <Raymond.Jang@UC.Edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 08:39:18 -0500
Have just finished removing 4 wheel hubs off of tapered shafts.  One
was easy, 2 moderately hard and 1 took two tries.  All successfully
came off without bending flanges and brutalizing the components.

The process, which is described in the Lotus Elan catalog put out long
ago by Dave Bean in California, relies on patiently heating the hub until
the tapered surfaces release.

First, exert a pull on the hub, use a puller through the lug bolt holes to
exert a more centered direction of pull.  This pull should be strong but not
murderously so, just enough to exert a constant pull.  If you are dealing
with Knock Off hubs, a socket behind the 3 eared nut will exert the same
centralized pull.

Next, patiently heat the webs and hub area working around the surfaces
to get a uniform heat buildup.  This takes 5 minutes or more.  I usually look
for signs of light smoke from the tapered shaft area.  Possibly this is
bearing grease, but I don't care since I replace the bearings anyhow.
I use a propane torch with moderate flame.

At this point, further tightening on the puller can be done.  Light tapping
with a ball peen on the rear surfaces may now release the hub from the
shaft.  When it happens its usually very gentle.  Just a parting of the
pieces.   If the pieces do not separate, patience, return to heating all
around.

If the hub was previously off and reinstalled it will be easier to get off.
Especially if that was recent.  The one shaft that gave me problems with
this technique was rusted pretty tight.  The metal key in the keyway was
corroded half away.  In the end, after two bouts of heating, with a cool
down in between, the shaft released the hub and neither were worse
for wear.  Once you've done this you'll be amazed at how gentle the
whole process can be.

Hope this helps.  Did I say, patience as you go?

Ray Jang, Cincinnati, '66 S2 Elan