Re: body panel welding advice sought

To: PARADOX@DEPAUW.EDU
Subject: Re: body panel welding advice sought
From: Tim Tucker <ttucker@mail.tds.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 21:23:40 -0400
PARADOX@DEPAUW.EDU wrote:

> Hi -
>
> My brother is about to weld in a new floor pan section on a Ford
> pickup.
> He intends to leave about 3/8 in. overlap when cutting out the
> diseased
> panel in order to give a good surface to weld (MIG) to (from the cab
> side).
> Is this a good margin?  And how should the bottom side be treated?
> Caulking material? Undercoating?  (It would seem that the leftover lip
>
> would give a splendid place for moisture to gather.)
>
> Any suggestions will be gratefully received.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Louis Smogor
> paradox@depauw.edu

How about using 3M's seam sealer?  It comes as a brushable "liquid", a
caulk, and I think it also comes as a "rope" that you lay onto the seam
and roll in.  Not sure about that last one.  I used the brushable seam
sealer when I replaced the floorpans on a '72 VW convertible.  That was
8 year ago and all has worked great. Hope this helps.

Tim
'63 TR4 CT16063