separating rotor top hats from hubs

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: separating rotor top hats from hubs
From: cak@dimebank.com (Chris Kantarjiev)
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 13:46:22 -0700
I had to do this yesterday, for the first time in several years, and I
discovered that I had mostly forgotten how I did it before.

The assembly in question is from an MG Midget. The rotor is a light
press fit into the hub, held in place with 4 bolts. The trick is
holding the hub assembly such that you can apply force to the rotor to
pull them apart, but not damage anything. There wasn't any obvious
arrangement of the parts and my arbor press...

Turned out that my vise would open enough that I could support the stud
surface of the hub above the jaws and still pass the rotor below the
hub ... back out the four bolts a bit and whap on them with a suitable
drift, and things came apart just fine.

But if left me wondering what I would have done if this wasn't an
underbraked Midget hub, but something with a man-size disk to fit
inside 17" or 18" wheels ... what trick am I missing? I suppose I
could rig something to support the hub at the center and use a
press to exert force on the bolts?