Re: Newbe air tool user question

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Newbe air tool user question
From: Douglas Shook <dshook@usc.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 10:48:06 -0400
Warren Chamberlain wrote:

> My first project has been to use an air sander to prepare some cabinet
> doors for painting. While sanding the first 10 doors, all went well, but
> now there are numerous spatters of oil coming out the sander's exhaust
> port (and onto the doors). Is this normal, or do I have the oiler
> dispensing too much oil? If I have filled my air line with too much oil,
> is there a good way to clean out the excess?

Warren,

I did the same thing, not sanding, but with an impact wrench.  Now that
you have oiled the hose, I would recommend that you buy another hose and
use the new one only on "clean" (non-oiled) air, especially if you are
going to do any painting.  You probably could take the couplings off and
fill the line with solvent, let it set for a while and then blow it out
with the compressor to clean the lines.

If, however, your current oiled hose is let's say a 50 footer, you also
could mark it so you will know which one it is, and buy another hose.
When running non-oiled air, you could plug the clean hose into the
compressor and plug the oiled hose onto the clean one and have 100 foot
of hose if needed (if you plug the oiled hose into the compressor and
attach the clean hose to it, you will oil the clean hose as well).

The line oilers would seem to make sense, but unless you use a very high
quality one, they are very hard to regulate accurately, you tend to use
far too much oil, you will oil everything from the oiler to the coupling
before it gets to the tool (i.e., the source of the oil is too far away
from the intended recipient), and it trashes the hose/lines for any
non-oiled use.

I ultimately removed the oiler entirely and simply added a "coupling
oiler" that plugs into the end coupling of the hose and you then plug
the tool into the oiler.  This keeps your lines clean, assures a
constant/regulated supply of oil right at the tool (it has a sight glass
so you can inspect it) and it uses far less oil (you do not have to coat
the lines/lines before getting to the tool.  The one I bought came from
Campbell Hausfeld, I believe, and cost about $20 if my memory serves me
correctly.

IMHO, the those in-line oiler are just not worth the trouble for the
home shop.

doug shook