upgrading a spindle

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: upgrading a spindle
From: Francisco Rodriguez-Beuerman <francisco@ti.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 09:46:54 -0700
Hello
I'm trying to make a spindle driven by a 2 hp motor,(180 4t  frame!),
turning at 7200 rpm (2 to 1 ratio pulleys) into a precision turning device.
I have placed precision bearings on the spindle shaft but had to split
them due to space limitations.
I'm also changing the v-belt driving the spindle to a flat belt. So I'm
changing the pulleys to flat ones.
Also changing the mounting rubber grammets (use as vibration
isolation) with vibration mounts designed to absorb transmission of
vibration between mounting location and the motor.
The motor's shaft has a loose fitting in its housing which makes it come
of center about 40 thousands. I don't know of any way to avoid this
movement except to change the motor.(180 4t frame is not to be found).
Also I don't know if I must change the motor or just concentrate on the
spindle.
The driving pulley and the slave one are 18.5 inches apart.
Any thing else i can do to make this arrangement more precise? I'm
looking for a precision in the millionth of an inch! - right now I'm
getting about 30 thousands.

Thank you